News - Face Masks and Facial Coverings
Face Masks and Facial Coverings
In order to maintain a safe and healthy school environment, and reduce the potential spread of communicable disease, face coverings are required for all students, faculty, staff, and other adults on District property, including employees, vendors and visitors unless an exception has been made per the procedures below. More specifically, all students, faculty, and staff are required to wear facial coverings at all times when:
- In any indoor location, including but not limited to classrooms, gymnasiums, offices, locker rooms, hallways, cafeterias, and/or locker bays;
- Outdoors on school property when unable to consistently maintain a distance of at least six (6) feet from individuals who are not members of their household;
- Waiting for a school bus outdoors when unable to maintain a distance of at least six (6) feet from individuals who are not members of their household; or
- Riding a school bus.
All face coverings shall meet any applicable dress code requirements, such as those established in Board policies or any applicable code of conduct provisions. All face coverings shall be free from offensive and disruptive language, symbols, designs, etc. that would distract the learning environment and/or violate other established policies and procedures.
- Must fully cover the mouth, nose, and chin
- Must fit snugly against the face so there are no gaps
- Must be secured in place through a tie, clip, elastic, etc.
- Cloth masks should be cleaned on a regular basis
- Disposable face mask should only be used for a single use (please dispose of mask(s) properly after use)
- Shall not include respirators or masks with valves
- Can only be worn by staff/students with prior authorization and where an exception to the use of face coverings applies, unless otherwise expressly provided herein
- Must be worn against the forehead with no gap, wrap around the sides of the face, and extend below the chin
- Social distancing of at least six (6) feet should be maintained during face shield use
- Disposable face shields should only be used for a single use
- Reusable face shields should be cleaned and disinfected after each use
If an exception to these requirements is requested, the parent/guardian must complete the attached form with appropriate documentation as specified on the form.
Mask breaks will be provided throughout the day as described here.